Chevy Ray has been making games for a long time now—though most of them are currently tough to play; RIP Flash—but is probably best known for Ikenfell, a tactical RPG about going to magic school, working through difficult relationships, and petting a great many cats.
Here Chevy talks about what it means to keep an RPG character-focused, the difference between nuance and subtlety, his love of “setpiece games,” and the significant hidden benefits of pursuing accessibility.
You can get Ikenfell on Steam Humble, GOG, PlayStation, Xbox (where it’s included in GamePass), and Switch. You can get the soundtrack on Bandcamp.
• Here’s THE MEATPUNK MANIFESTO.
• That game Chevy was talking about was Genital Jousting.
• Chevy’s episode of Eggplant is just wonderful.
• Cherry Thompson is definitely a person you should know.
• As is Ikenfell’s lead sensitivity consultant, Joanna Blackheart.
• And here’s that Bryce Johnson talk.
• If you do want to play the Linda & Joan prologue, “Four Months Earlier,” before listening to the next episode, you can do so here.
“All The People Say (Season 4)” by Drew Messinger-Michaels.
“Stuck Together 2” and “Paint the Future – Ima’s Theme – Battle 3 (Instrumental)” from the Ikenfell OST by aivi & surasshu.
Logo by Aaron Perry-Zucker, using Icons by by Llisole, Dávid Gladiš, Atif Arshad, Daniel Nochta, Mike Rowe, Jakub Čaja, Raji Purcell and IconsGhost from the Noun Project.