ETAO PODCAST, EPISODE 134.
William Pugh’s studio Crows Crows Crows has just released The Stanley Parable: Ultra Deluxe. It’s a remake. It’s also a lot more than that. But like The Stanley Parable itself, what exactly it is can be slippery to explain, and slipperier still to talk around. Here William goes into that, as well as into Crows Crows Crows’ other work, from their superlative newsletter, to The Temple of No, to Accounting+, to Dr. Langeskov, The Tiger, and The Terribly Cursed Emerald: A Whirlwind Heist.
SPOILERS FOR THE STANLEY PARABLE: ULTRA DELUXE BEGIN AT 0:21:55.
You can get The Stanley Parable: Ultra Deluxe on Steam, Playstation, Xbox, and Switch.
Crows Crows Crows has a website, a Discord, and again, about the finest newsletter there is.
You can also follow William (and Crows Crows Crows) on Twitter.
• For more on the 2013 version of The Stanley Parable, you can listen to our conversation with William’s partner in all this Stanley, Davey Wreden. Drew also wrote about that version, and the spoiler-avoiding striptease attendant thereto.
• We also had Brendon Chung on, along with Laura Michet, to talk about the past and future of Blendo Games (among, of course, myriad other topics). Do give that a listen if William’s talk of Gravity Bone and Thirty Flights of Loving intrigued you.
• A bunch of Justin Roiland’s early “punk cartoons” are still findable. Lucio and I once watched House of Cosbys straight through, and emerged from that experience changed.
• Tanya Watson is COO at Bad Robot.
• Drew was trying to get at just how much of The Stanley Parable: Ultra Deluxe, as it currently exists, was reflected in the initial pitch documents. That remains a partial mystery, for now.
• Here’s the interview with TrueAchievements that Drew mentions.
• Here’s a good example of William’s press appearances trending toward performance art, and here specifically is the what Drew was referring to when he mentioned The Witness.
• Here the hell is Cat Burglar.
• And here’s Davey Wreden talking about the removed gag from the 2013 Stanley Parable, which remains removed in Ultra Deluxe (Let the record show that Davey is not the one who used that all-time hall-of-famer in the weasel-nonsense lexicon, “racially charged”).
• It was indeed People Make Games who did a fairy scathing investigation into the exploitative aspects of Roblox, and then a follow-up on the attempts to shut them up.
• Game Maker’s Toolkit is really good too, though.
• Just about last and definitely least, here’s DJ Khaled’s appearance on Hot Ones.
• Actually-last, here’s Issue #37 of the Crows Crows Crows Newsletter, which is auditory-like.
“All The People Say (Season 5)” by Carpe Demon.
Some music from the OST to The Stanley Parable: Ultra Deluxe by Tom Schley (a.k.a. Silkersoft).
Sounds of breaking glass and sirens from Freesound.
We’re on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Stitcher, Amazon Music, Spotify, PocketCasts, and just about everywhere else. You can also subscribe using good old-fashioned RSS.
Logo by Aaron Perry-Zucker, using Icons by by Llisole, Dávid Gladiš, Atif Arshad, Daniel Nochta, Mike Rowe, Jakub Čaja, Raji Purcell and IconsGhost from the Noun Project.